I enjoyed the loving
kindness exercise better than the subtle mind. During the subtle mind exercise
I found that my mind wandered a great deal. It was difficult to keep the concentration
that I find I need in order to keep my mind from wandering. The breathing
during the subtle mind exercise was longer and required more attention. I guess
I need my hand to be held a little more when it comes to meditation and prayer. I enjoyed thinking about my daughters and loving them from a whole and healthy place in the loving kindness exercise.
Spiritual wellness directly affects our mental and physical
wellness by allowing the body to relax and accept new stimulus from outside
sources. Mental wellness is an effort for some people to obtain because all three
components are not working in harmony with each other. The personal relationships in my life have
been very difficult. Along with the
mental confusion I have not been paying attention to my physical wellness. My
diet has suffered and my weight is rising. My prayer and spiritual attitudes have
been at their lower. However I can change the course of my life by following
the four steps of psycho spiritual development. These steps are Sensory
consciousness, witnessing consciousness, calm abiding consciousness and unity
consciousness. All four steps are necessary in order for me to unite the
different areas of my life and to make better life choices. By surrounding myself
with people that are consciously making healthy life choices it will enable me
to make those better life choices that much easier.
Hi Julie :) I understand what you mean about personal relationships affecting your diet and mental health, I myself have issues with this. My spiritual wellness is the only thing that keeps me somewhat sane, when all else fails me. My other half has issues with God, cusses him out for his own shortcomings, but I know better. My mental state also depends on the emotions of those around me; I seem to absorb them, but it isn't easy to surround yourself with happy people when you are having a hard time caring about your own happiness. Don't give up, I'm not; you are very right about taking these steps as a start to better choices. I wish you good luck as I know I will need it too!
ReplyDeleteHi Julie,
ReplyDeleteI did the same about visualizing my son. He is just a little bundle of joy right now! He is turning 20 months old on the 24th, so he is entering the 'terrible 2's', yet he is such a love-able little boy. When I visualized him in my head, I really enjoyed that feeling of motherly love. I am really happy to have that despite my dysfunctional relationship I have with his dad. I agree with Crystal too on how the mental state depends on those around. When I have my son around, I feel happier. Otherwise, I am at home alone a lot, which I know isn't all that good. We are all designed to be social beings and when you don't socialize very much with others, it will affect you greatly in the long run, I think.
For me, it's the same thing when I work. I'm driving in my car, delivering newspapers, when I should be sleeping like everybody else. I envy the thought of being able to sleep just 1 or 2 nights. Either that or I need a new job! Like Crystal says also: I have every right about taking the steps to start to make better choices. So as soon as this term is over, I will hopefully be all done with school! (That is if I pass my Capstone, of course!)
Hi Julie,
ReplyDeleteI actually like the subtle mind exercise better than the loving-kindness one. I did have a hard time focusing my mind though, but I felt like I was getting somewhere with this exercise and not really the other one.
I think you are on the right track to integral health by surrounding yourself with people who have the same goals as you. My husband is that person for me. He's been great during this whole journey and has been taking the steps with me, which totally makes it easier to do and have fun while doing it. :)
Jerrica
Very nice Julie,I got as much if not more than you did out od this exercise. I have really enjoyed this class. i feel like i have changed some during this term and i think that my mind is more open to these types of mental workouts.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Greg on this. I think I have made more changes during this course than any other since I've been here at Kaplan. The courses are all good and I have enjoyed myself and learned a lot but this course takes it to that next level. It's been a ride. Areas where I thought I had it together are under renovation right now and other areas where I have been concerned or lack any interest seemed to have been reignited with a renewed interest. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete